|Photo by Vanessa Alexopoulos|
Last week Toronto got hit with record breaking rainfalls and power outages complete with destroyed basements, furniture and in some cases entire homes. Homeowners around Toronto were all asking the same questions; how do we prevent this from happening again, what do we do if it happens again, and who should we call to help us with all this junk? Luckily, I have some answers.
Preventative measures for future floods should be taken by Torontonians now that we have felt the wrath of Mother Nature. This includes:
- Sealing cracks in windows, foundations and floors
- Increasing greenery around your house to absorb rainwater
- Regular checks and maintenance of weeping tile systems
- Avoiding carpeting and storing valuables in the basement if possible
- Make sure that the plumbing is in good condition
- Research what types of flooding your insurance does and does not cover
If a flood was to reoccur in your home, these steps are helpful to keep in mind:
- Call 311 (City staff will come and inspect the problem, available 24-hours a day)
- Be safe while cleaning up your flooded area
- watch for sewage
- be mindful of electical accidents
- dress appropriately
- dry and ventilate areas with de-humidifiers and/or fans
- remove all drywall/insulation that has come into contact with sewage or water
Thankfully, you know who to call for efficient and effective Junk Removal services. Feel free to call us up (1800-RID-OF-IT) and we will gladly talk with you about your options and our services.
Til next time, Junk Lovers, and stay dry!